Tuesday, November 11, 2025

Research- Hesmondhalgh's Theory #57


Hesmondhalgh's Theory


Hello, today  I looked closely at how Sony Pictures is owned and controlled, and I linked my findings to Hesmondhalgh’s Cultural Industries theory. Sony Pictures is part of Sony Entertainment, which is owned by Sony Group Corporation, a very large global company that works in many areas such as film, television, gaming, music, and technology. Because Sony owns so many different branches, it has a lot of power over how films are made, advertised, and distributed. 



This is known as vertical and horizontal integration, and it allows the company to manage many parts of the industry at once. When I studied a flow chart of Sony’s structure, I noticed that they often focus on well-known franchises, safe and familiar genres, and popular actors. According to Hesmondhalgh, big companies do this to reduce risks and make sure they make a profit. This directly shapes the visual style of Sony’s film campaigns—they usually look very professional, with clear images, strong branding, and messages that appeal to as many people as possible.

Vertical Integration: when one company controls multiple stages of the production and distribution process for a product.

Horizontal Integration: when a company expands by buying or partnering with other companies at the same stage of production.

In Conclusion thinking about this helped me understand how large companies like Sony design their campaigns to be safe, marketable, and easy for audiences to understand quickly. Even though my media product is not created by a huge conglomerate, I can still use some of the same ideas. To make my final project appealing to a wide audience, I will use familiar genre features, clear visual elements, and a consistent tone so viewers immediately know what my film is about. At the same time, I want to keep my work creative and original. This can be done  by adding unique stylistic choices, interesting imagery, or small creative details that make my product stand out. 

sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD4LDiDAmIM


No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye #78

It’s been a long two-year journey, starting at AS Level and working my way up to A Level. Officially, I can say this is the last blog I’ll w...